Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Aunt Hattie's Apple Cake


I'm actually not sure whether Aunt Hattie was an actual relative or just a name from an old cookbook. What I am sure of is that my grandmother made this cake my whole life and it was one of the recipes that I made sure to copy from her when I was starting my own recipe box! Every time I eat a piece of this cake it takes me right back to her kitchen table. With all the apples we picked, I figured it was the perfect time to make one!

Aunt Hattie's Apple Cake

Filling:
2 pounds of peeled and sliced apples
1/3 c. sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together and set aside

Cake:

1/2 c. butter
1 2/3 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. orange juice (which I never seem to have on hand when I make this cake. Apple juice or apple cider both work equally well.)

Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each is added. Sift flour and baking powder together; add alternately to batter with orange juice. (Or just dump. That's what I do.) Mix until blended.

Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan and spread pan with half of the cake batter. Add layer of the apple filling and cover with remaining batter. Bake at 350 degrees (325 for glass pan) for 1 hour. Should be brown and firm to the touch when done. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. love it! will definitely try it, although andy begs for me to cut the sugar out of our diet :) what can i say, i'm a dessert addict!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Hattie did, indeed, exist! She was a member of your maternal grandfather's family. I'm so glad to still have this recipe in the family these many years later.

    ReplyDelete