Monday, March 28, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons...

Make them into a shirt.

Ha. No, really.

I'm not someone who makes a lot of clothing. I alter already made stuff, I mend and patch, but following a pattern and making something from scratch? I can count on one hand the number of garments I have made from scratch. I've decided though, that it's high time I dove in and tried some out. After all, the remnant bin at Hancock Fabrics often has pieces big enough for a sundress for Mistress Monstress that can be purchased for a really reasonable price! So, I dove in. MM picked out a piece of green seersucker with embroidered strawberries, and I picked a pattern for a little pillowcase style dress. From start to finish, it was a very simple project.

Except for the little issues I ran into...

First, I mistakenly traced the wrong line on the pattern and therefore cut the front and back pieces about 3 inches shorter than they were supposed to be. Second, I made her the size three, assuming that it would fit perfectly. I forgot to take into account the fact that her height is in the 90th percentile for her age.

So, long story short, her dress turned into a shirt. Being that it's in the 30s in SC right now and she absolutely had to wear it immediately, we added a long sleeved white shirt under it and a pair of jeans. Even though I didn't start out to make a shirt, I still love the end look and more importantly, so does the Mistress!

2 comments:

  1. too cute! julia is in the 90% in height too...they would be such a cute tall pair of friends :)

    ReplyDelete