Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens...

These are a few of my favorite things!

It's raining cats and dogs today which makes me think of that famous song from The Sound of Music. I'm one of those weird people who actually likes a rainy day. I love getting up in the morning and having a cup of coffee before the kids are up, snuggled on the sofa with a good book. It's so peaceful and cozy. Now if I have to go somewhere in said rain then I curse it right along with everyone else, but if I get to stay home I can relish it, bake something yummy, and enjoy the peace and quiet. What are some of my other favorite things? Check them out!

1. Our clocks. My husband and I collected these three antique clocks when we were first married. We bought three total over a year's time or so, and have always hung them on the wall in this arrangement in each of the six places we have lived since then. Seven years ago we started having children, and as each was born we set a clock to the time they came into the world. Now each kiddo has a clock and someday when we are old and grey, we will pass their clocks to them!
2. The initial hooks. When our oldest was born, I bought the 'N' hook for his nursery. Soon thereafter he received a brother and I searched every Anthropologie store in the universe for a 'C' hook to match. I hung them in their bathroom for their towels. A few years later when we welcomed Mistress Monstress, I thought that searching for an 'A' hook would be in vain, but good old ebay came through and I found what I am pretty sure was the last 'A' in existence. It's a little darker than the first two, but I like that they are unique. When we moved here and they no longer shared a bathroom, I kept the hooks together on their level for their coats and backpacks. It makes me smile every time I walk by and see a little coat on one of the hooks! (Mostly because that means someone actually hung up a coat, but still...)
3. My husband and I found this coral while we were walking on the beach on our honeymoon. I love natural objects and DH loves the beach more than anything, so we brought it home and it has been on our shelves ever since. It almost got thrown away when we moved the last time, but luckily we felt the lump in the packing paper when we were breaking down the boxes and it was returned to it's rightful place on the shelf!
4. The corks. I started collecting them from bottles of wine and champagne when we were first married, and over the last 11 years we have collected a bunch. When there is an event, (Christmas Dinner, a wedding, anniversary, a date night, etc.) I take the cork and write the date on it and add it to the collection. It's fun to go through them sometimes and read the dates and try to remember what it was from!
5. Finally, I hate a cluttered fridge but love my kids' artwork. I solved this problem with some inexpensive frames from Michaels and a few shelves that my brother made for us. I hung them in the playroom and change the artwork frequently. The kids love having their art showcased for everyone to see and I love having a clean fridge!
So how about you? What are some of your favorite things?

No comments:

Post a Comment