Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bye-Bye Binky Mermaid

Mistress Monstress turned two and a half, and per tradition in our home it was time to say 'bye-bye' to the beloved binkies. I asked MM what she wanted as a reward for relinquishing one of her favorite things, and she replied that she wanted a purple mermaid. Luckily Bit of Whimsy Dolls has a pattern for a MerMae doll, and I set to work creating a mermaid for my darling daughter.

First off, purple. I found a purple print in the value bin (read: cheap) at Hancock Fabrics and got 1/3 of a yard. Didn't even spend $1 and I have a ton leftover! The purple felt for her hair I already had, as well as the peachy kona cotton for the body and face. After getting her cut out though, I felt she was missing something, so I bought 1/3 of a yard of purple chiffon to add a little shimmer to this bathing beauty. (And, the Good Lord willing, I will never again have to work with that slippery stuff.) I also had to spend about $6 on yarn for her hair, and with what I have leftover I can make 9380 more mermaids. Or a purple and white sweater if I ever learn to knit.
So here she is!
She also got a special necklace. Look familiar? Yup, the ring of a binky! Mistress Monstress tried to put it in her mouth, and was a little confused by this...
She also got a name.

Purplicious.

1 comment: