Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cinnamon Apples

Ever since I was a little girl, my Nana would make her cinnamon apples for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not only were they good on their own, they did a fantastic job of chasing away the taste of squash, which we hated but always had to eat at least one bite of it. (And no, despite claims to the contrary, I never learned to like it.) As a child it was a true treat to eat these cinnamony little treats, and when my Nana died my mother took over making them. Fast forward five years and we move several states away, so if my kids (who love them as much as I do) wanted to be able to eat them for the holidays we don't make it back north, I would have to be the one to make them. Truth be told they are really easy, albeit a little time consuming, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you!

Nana's Cinnamon Apples

1c. cinnamon imperial candies
2 1/3 c. boiling water
8 apples, halved or quartered and peeled
1/3 c. sugar

Begin by pouring the candies into a saucepan.
Next pour your boiling water over the candies. Turn the heat on (medium-high) and stir to complete the melting process.
Begin to poach your peeled apples in the liquid. My mom and Nana always did halves, I do quarters. It's easier to cut them that way! Cook in small portions at a time until the apple begins to get fork tender and the red color darkens. You don't want to be able to make applesauce with these, they should hold their shape.
Remove each batch as they are done and place in a heat resistant dish.
I don't have a picture of this, but after all your apples are done add 1/3 c. sugar to the remaining liquid and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the apples and refrigerate. At least overnight, the longer they sit the better the flavor!
And bon appétit! Happy Thanksgiving from all of us here at the Southern Stitcher!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had seen this before the store closed. I will make this, soon. Thanks

    ReplyDelete