Saturday, May 28, 2011

Pinkalicious!

Mistress Monstress was invited to her BFF's Pinkalicious Birthday Party this weekend, and since I can't do anything the easy way, (like going to Target and buying something pre-made off the shelf) I set out to create something for this special little girl without any sort of pattern to work from. What can I say, I like a challenge!

For those of you who don't know, Pinkalicious is a little girl who loves everything pink, so much so that she actually turns pink from head to toe (a diagnosis of Pinkatitis) after eating too many pink cupcakes. In order to turn back to her normal color, she has to eat a steady diet of green foods. There is an entire series of these books, Pinkalicious is followed by Purplicious, Goldalicious, and most recently, Silverlicious just to name a few. They are a must read for any self respecting toddler girl. There's even a musical on Broadway of this book. I just found this out today. But I digress, back to the birthday present...

...I had the crazy idea to make a Pinkalicious doll for Miss K. Did I mention that there was no pattern for such a thing? I made things a little easier for myself by starting with a doll that I am very familiar with making, the Mae doll from Bit of Whimsy Dolls. (One of my all time favorites!!!) I cannot say enough good about these patterns, they are SO much fun to make! Anyway, I freehanded the face using the Mae face for placement reference and the Pinkalicious book for design reference and combined a little embroidery with a little real life blush. Then I set off for the store and wandered the aisles with the book in hand to find fabric close to the story. Here's the end result!
For the big test, I held the finished doll up and asked MM who it was. When she promptly replied "Pinkawicious!" I knew I had hit the nail on the proverbial head! She was also instantly recognized by Miss K, so I'm going to mark this one down on the success column. Happy Stitching!


5 comments:

  1. Love it! And Pinkawicious is already receiving all kinds of mad love over here. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks better than the "real" Pinkalicious dolls that Grandma bought Leah to go with her book! I second Laura...amazing!

    Pinkalicious sure is a great book for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I actually used the 'Mae' pattern from Bit of Whimsy Dolls, there's a link in the post to take you to it. I just used the book and free handed most of the details. Thanks for reading!

      Delete