Monday, December 12, 2011

The First Day of Christmas Crafts: Printing on Fabric

I make no promises, but I will make my best effort to make 12 Days of Christmas Crafts, starting today so that I will end on December 24th. Enjoy day 1!
I've been wanting to try using fabric in my computer printer ever since I saw it done on Pinterest. I found a great tutorial here and decided to combine it with this adorable pillow I found here. I can never do anything exactly as it tells me to though, so I changed a few things up a bit, namely adding border fabric around the printed phrase. I also used osnaberg instead of burlap, mostly because I already had some. This entire project was made with things I already had on hand, so it didn't cost me a dime!

Here's my phrase, all printed out. I was a little nervous putting fabric into my new printer, but it worked great and truthfully the fabric isn't much heavier than cardstock and that has always worked fine.
I trimmed my definition to the size I wanted and got busy adding the decorative fabric. Although I have no pictures, I just basically cut four strips of fabric 3" wide and stitched them to the edges, pressing the seams open and flat when I was done. Easy peasy! Then I decided that 3" was too much, so I trimmed it down to 1".
I lined the pillow with some warm and natural batting so that my stuffing wouldn't be lumpy and came up with an adorable pillow that works great with the ones we already have! If I had it to do over again, I probably would have just used the osnaberg and omitted the accent fabric, this is cute but I like the simplicity of the plain fabric. Who knows, maybe I'll get another one done this year yet, but until then this one works just fine!

2 comments: