Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunday Dinner

For the first time, I am doing all recipes from my own repertoire! I spent the day in the playroom cleaning out, so I wanted to do something that was slow cooker friendly so that I didn't have to spend a ton of time in the kitchen. Therefore I started my day by putting together dessert, (start with the best first, right?) and loaded up the crockpot for dinner!

For dinner today, we had:
Honey Butter Pulled Pork with
Rice and Corn
and
Strawberry Pie for dessert!

First off, the pie. I don't know where my mother got this recipe, but I have been eating it since I was a little girl. It is fairly quick, easy to make, and DELICIOUS! It's great for a summery dessert.

Strawberry Pie:
1 envelope Strawberry gelatin
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cup water
First, bake a pie shell. Maybe you are one of those people who can make a good pie crust, I am not. So in my case, I follow the directions on the box. Next, combine all the ingredients together in a saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat. The liquid starts of opaque and changes to clear with cooking. After the mixture clears:
Set it aside to cool. Meanwhile fill your cooled pie shell with washed, hulled, and sliced berries. A little over a quart will do it nicely. Then pour the mixture over the berries and place in the fridge for at least two hours. It's best to let it sit all day. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. (Or both if it suits you!)
Next, Honey Butter Pork Tenderloin. This is one of those recipes that started off as one I made from an actual recipe and I have modified it to my liking over the years. When I was pregnant with Mistress I ate it at least once a week. DH got sick of it and we didn't eat it for at least six months after she was born.

Start by putting two tenderloins in a crock pot. Cover with water and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8. You basically want it to be at that falling apart stage. Yum.
Next, in a skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter and add
1/2 cup(ish, I never really measure but I squirt four to five good sized dollops) of honey, 1/2 cup water, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Get it mixed up and simmering and add your tenderloins:
Then using two forks, shred it up in the honey butter sauce.
Let it simmer for 15 minutes or so, turning it frequently to get the sauce soaked in. Serve over rice and enjoy. Seriously addicting!
Happy eating everyone, and enjoy! See you next week!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy and easy. Thank you so much for posting this. Now..off to the kitchen. For some reason I am really HUNGRY!!!!

    Smiles,
    Regi

    ReplyDelete