Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Closet Organization

Happy New Year!!! I may be a little late, but I have a good excuse; I have been systematically organizing each and every room in our house. Every cupboard, drawer, closet, nook, and cranny in the entire house. It's taken me a while, but Goodwill has gotten a ton of stuff out of my way, the trash man hates me, and finally I see a light at the end of the tunnel. I love organizing. Seriously. I'm one of those crazy people who gets as excited about a trip to the container store as a child gets going to Disneyland. I love the feeling of accomplishment when I finish cleaning something and it's all neat and tidy, which is probably why I banned my kids from their rooms today. I wanted them to stay clean for a day. Kidding. Anyway, one of the areas of our house that was bugging me was the kids' closets. They are nice and large and have tons of space, but were completely poorly designed with a standard wire shelf across the top and nothing else.

See all the wasted space?
And do you see WHY we needed more storage space in the closets?
So I went to one of my favorite stores, Ikea, and bought each boy one of these bookcases for their closet. I liked them because they were really sturdy and durable and offered plenty of space for all those toys that were laying around the room. I used four bins for each kiddo that were given to us by a neighbor and organized the smaller things into them while keeping the top cubbies for larger toys. The best part is that I can rearrange as needed as they continue to grow. They could also be combined someday to make a larger wall unit. Very versatile!
And now I can breathe easy, knowing that my boys will be organized. For at least an hour...

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! The kids' closets here are horrendous at the moment! I really need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete