Friday, January 27, 2012

20 Minute Curtains

I wanted to do a little something on the windows for Mistress's room, but really didn't want to put up curtains or toppers. We love the moldings around our windows, and don't want to cover them up. When we first moved in here we tried some curtain toppers in her room that matched her bedding and I hated them when I got them up! So they came down and went back to the store. I had resigned myself to having bare windows when I came up with this super simple, inexpensive, and easy way to add a bit of color and whimsy to her room.

I bought 1/2 yard each of three different colors of fabric, and pulled two from my stash. FYI, 1/2 yard was WAY too much. I only ended up needing about 3 triangles of each color, so I have tons left over. Anyway, I spent about $5 on fabric, and another $2 on 3/8 inch white ribbon. I cut a bunch of triangles using a paper triangle that I had made for a pattern. Make sure to use a pinking rotary blade or pinking shears so your fabric doesn't fray.
Then I just stitched the triangles in random patterns to the ribbon and stitched a loop at each end. A few small tack nails in the top of the molding where the holes won't be seen if they are removed and I had an inexpensive solution for curtains!
These would be great in a boy's room as well with boy colors, or in a playroom in bright primary colors. The possibilities are endless! I actually first made these several months ago for the baby shower that I helped throw, and they would be great for decor for any party you could imagine.
And here's the full effect! I love the color that it adds, and am happy with how much impact a simple little project can have. Be impressed that her room is clean, I cleaned it this afternoon and then banished all the kids to the outdoors. It was 65 and sunny here today, way too nice to be inside!

1 comment: